July 14, 2010

Day 352-72 Hours

Still raining, but I'm done wallowing. After spending my childhood (and let's be real, teenage and college years), trying to be a perfect little lady, I've finally started to learn that being "up" all the time is not only unrealistic, even more so, it's not healthy. So as seen by my posts the past few days, I've been letting myself go with what I was feeling: blues, mean reds, and every up & down in between. But as I've told other friends going through hardtimes, feel whatever you need to feel for 72 hours and then move on. Of course, like a good friend, they love throwing that fabulous advice back in my face when I'm in the doldrums myself (remember to watch what you say!).

So whether I'm ready or not, my 3 days are whining and feeling sorry for myself are up. It's time to be productive or at the least, be positive while I'm figuring out my next step. I have to admit, I was quite ashamed of my post yesterday, especially in the wake of the BP disaster or other worldly issues such as poverty in the Middle East. I had to read a book last night about poor villages in India and the power of microfinance-pretty cool stuff to be involved in but hearing people live on less than $1 a day will really put you in your place.

Yet, I'm trying not to feel guilty that I was all "woe is me" for the past few days. Everyone gets down on themselves or has personal issues that throw you off your horse. But, you also have to learn to take care of the internal stuff so you're better equipped to have a positive effect on the external, aka the world. As Kelly Cutrone says, it's a microcosm/macrocosm sort of thing.

And while learning to handle the little and big stuff, it's nice to know you're not alone on your journey. That's what I discovered yesterday when a friend emailed saying how much she loved the blog because it justified the heartache she herself had held onto for years. It was a reminder that we all have scars, but those old hurts are what ultimately make us stronger. If you need a little inspiration for this concept, Netflix the film Coco Chanel-a great reminder that it's our failures, not our successes, that make us who we are.

I'm off the market & in the moment!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Liza!
    I think what you are doing is awesome! I wrote a little something about it on the blog that I do for the clothing store I work for. Keep it up lady and I am LOVING reading every day!
    Leslie

    www.worldsapartstore.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete