November 2, 2010

Day 242-There Should Be More Rules

There should be more rules in dating. Even a a few guidelines would be most beneficial. I've been discussing this very thing with a few friends this week as I've begun to tread on the path towards casual dating. What IS casual dating? Do I need to be upfront of what I'm looking for? Or do I just coast along until told otherwise? Unfortunately, no such code of conduct exists so I've decided to create my own:
  • Everyone should wear their Facebook status prominently on their clothing. In a relationship? Thanks for the heads up-can we just be friends? Looking for random play? Me too! Off the Market but still into casual date? Why don't you sit by me...
  • After the second date of drinks, dinner is mandatory. Prove to me that you are normal (aka like to eat) and can also hold a decent conversation sans alcohol.
  • If you're going to ask for someone's number, call. Girls and guys alike are guilty of this one-why put someone through the anxiety of waiting just because you're on a power trip?
  • Until you're three months in, don't have The Talk. Just enjoy casual dating and be in the moment. If we actually had a hard timeline for this, it'd help keep a lot of us from jumping the gun on having the dreaded convo.
  • Until you have The Talk and know where you stand, don't give IT up. Yes, I said it. Grandmothers warn you not to give up the farm; Steve Harvey says not to give up the cookie. Whatever the pet name, hold on to it to avoid clouded judgment.
  • Don't say things you don't mean and don't make promises you can't keep. We all get excited and have verbal diarrhea from time to time, but try to keep yourself in check when caught up in the moment; this especially pertains to making plans you have no intention of keeping.

Above all...

  • Be honest. It truly is the best policy, but unfortunately isn't done enough. I'm not talking about the little things like onion breath. I mean the big picture stuff. Life is just too short.

My list may not consist of totally original points, but I think I've made mine.

I'm Off the Market & In the Moment!

No comments:

Post a Comment