November 3, 2010

Day 241-Can't Rain on My Parade

A few weeks ago, a friend of mine told me I sweated the small stuff too much. Yes, yes, got that, I know. I agree that making and breaking up does not compare with a life and death scenario. It is important to keep things in perspective and focus on the larger picture. But, sometimes, the little stuff is what makes all the difference. For instance...

Wearing a cute outfit or a new pair of shoes can totally affect how high you hold your head.

Sharing your subway pass with a stranded commuter can make you feel connected to a human being.

Being able to enjoy your favorites for dinner can make a weeknight feel special.

Singing at the top of the lungs can make you feel outgoing, even if you're alone in a room.

Buying flowers can make you pause just long enough to appreciate all of the natural beauty of the world.

Tromping through the snow can make you relive your childhood.

Remembering a past love can make you remember what is possible.


Before I get too Raindrops and Roses on you, I realize that these are all superficial factors at play. You indeed need to have a strong grasp on the good stuff inside you to really live in this world because the rest is passing. But in the same breath, I say it's ok to sweat the small stuff because it makes me enjoy the small stuff, too. Being aware of daily up's and down's and changes doesn't make me crazy-it makes me complicated and creative (not to mention, both great at my day job as well as my moonlighting gig as an actor and writer).

I know I'm probably going to fall off my soapbox for proclaiming this, but friend, I agree to disagree. I'm learning not to dwell and still be in the moment. That's what this year is about, and I don't want to miss a second of it, good or bad.

I'm Off the Market & In the Moment!

No comments:

Post a Comment