November 18, 2010

Day 226-Older and Wiser?

Older and wiser? Or just plain older? That seems to be the universal birthday dilemma, but after a minor drop in morale the day before the Big Day, I'm feeling pretty good. There's nothing like a pizza party at work and people (you haven't seen in years) posting well wishes on your Facebook wall to make you feel loved-not to mention the fun makeup E gave me to play with or the flowers G sent with the unforgettable note of

But birthdays can be bittersweet so to ban any blah moments, I decided to focus less on myself and more of what I'm grateful for.

I'm grateful for my family-I'm truly blessed to have such a wonderful support system.

I'm grateful for new friends and old-When I moved to NYC, I knew only one person. Three years later, I've found my circle yet am still am lucky enough to pick up where I left off anytime I talk to my friends from college & high school.

I'm grateful for two wonderful roommates-E always pushes me to be my best self, even though I resist at times. And little B evokes love every time she runs through the room.

I'm grateful to live in a city as vibrant and stimulating as New York City-My experiences here, both good and bad, have shaped me into adulthood. The Big Apple has been a most excellent finishing school, and I continue to be in awe everytime I step outside my door. And I"m wise enough to know that feeling is immeasurable.

I'm grateful to have loved-During times of reflection, it's hard not to think of those that aren't a part of day to day life anymore. Yet, I'm grateful they were in my life, if even for a short while, to teach me and help me grow.

I'm grateful for new experiences every day and adventures to come-I am very fortunate to grow up in a time where, even if Social Security is depleting, there's no limit to who you can become in your lifetime. I'm not limited to certain career choices, and I haven't had to marry to verify my worth. I support my little 650 square foot apartment with my day job and still get to follow my passions. And for that freedom, I truly feel lucky.

I'm grateful for this blog-my OTMITM year is almost at over yet many doors have already been opened to me. While I know this isn't because of the blog, per se, I know that the blog and writing has changed my perspective. And THAT has made the difference.

So as I move forward into a new year, I hope to have moments of thanks every day. Because it's easy to focus on what you don't have in life, but a truly wise person knows to be grateful for all she does.

I'm Off the Market & In the Moment!

No comments:

Post a Comment