November 15, 2010

Day 229-On a Ledge

I really don't know how actors do it every day-5am call time to be on set equals a 8pm bedtime the night before, followed by the alarm going off at 4am. That's assuming you want to be bright-eyed and refreshed for the shoot. And have no social life.

Otherwise, you can try to go out until 1am, powernap for two hours unsuccessfully while your cell buzzes with texts and the drunks on St. Marks try to work their way into a fight, and THEN wake up at 4am to make it to set on time. This is only a successful endeavor if you don't have any lines to remember or don't have to ever be fully awake-and of course, only if vizine and great makeup can cover up blurry eyes and lines.

I tried both approaches this weekend, and I'm totally undecided about which approach is better. See my friends or get more sleep? Thankfully, all I had to do this time was show up to the set of Man on a Ledge and watch Kira Sedgwick, Ed Harris, and Sam Worthington do their thing.

And, of course, stand for 12 hours in 3-inch high heeled boots at the corner of the Roosevelt Hotel. Though don't thing I can complain with Sam's stunt double is free-falling into the street.
Over the past few weeks, I've realized that being a good actor requires a commitment which few people know about. Long rehearsals and shows make for little social life-you're awake when others are sleeping and vice-versa. Then, there's the healthy eating and exercise routine that somehow must be fit in on a daily basis, not to mention the fact that good actors spend a lot of work and time doing research for their roles. Even with the money that some starlets get, they're freezing on shoots or withstanding the pain of hours in uncomfortable shoes.

I haven't figured out how to maintain the lifestyle or balance the schedule, so forgive me for my zombie status if you meet me on the street or my OTMITM posts stop making sense. The only thing I know right now is that even if I'm not on stage or camera yet myself, this is where I get my high.
I may have lost my sense of self at the beginning of the summer, but if a little heartache was what it took to find some direction, then what the hell. It sure was worth it.
I'm Off the Market & In the Moment! And on the street of 45th and Madison for one more weekend filming Man on a Ledge!

No comments:

Post a Comment